A cool roof is specifically designed to reflect more sunlight than traditional rooftops. It can be a great energy saver and will certainly add to the comfort of your home. By offering temperature stability, a cool roof reduces overall energy usage, which in turn, offers you an eco-friendly way of maintaining comfortable temperature inside your home.
Homes in warmer climates like Sacramento benefit most from this innovation since cool roofs provide protection from solar heat gain. Just think about how we dress in the winter vs. the summer. We prefer lighter colors in the warm weather and tend to wear darker colors in the winter months. In the summer, we choose those lighter colors due to their reflective properties against the heat.
Cool roofs operate in much the same way. A typical cool roof is composed of special reflective pigments that reflect the sunlight. CertainTeed offers residential cool roof products such as Landmark Solaris® and Presidential Solaris® that achieve EnergyStar® levels of solar reflectivity even with rich, dark colors.
In the Sacramento area, we definitely see our share of very warm summer days. Because our homes see warm, sunny days throughout much of the spring and fall, and all of the summer months, a cool roof could benefit you and your family. Here are some of the top benefits of a cool roof:
- Improves indoor comfort. A cool roof offers temperature stability across your entire residential structure, including your garage, covered patio, or a bonus room where you may not normally heat or cool that space.
- Reduces energy bills. A cool roof will not absorb as much heat as a traditional roof, requiring much less energy to keep your home cool. This can be a significant savings, especially if your HVAC is not the most efficient or is getting on in years.
- Avoids high demand during peak energy rates. Since your cool roof is reflecting the sun’s heat, you are using less energy to air condition your home. Using less energy during peak rates will lower your overall bill even more dramatically.
- Ecologically conscious. If you are like many who see eco-conscious improvements to your home, a cool roof is an excellent way to improve efficiency. With a third of all carbon emissions originating from the use of electricity, your cool roof will boost our collective efforts to reduce electrical demands and offer long term benefits to the environment.
- Longer Roof Life Span. When a traditional roof absorbs heat, over time it will stress the materials and shorten the roof’s lifespan. In general, the life expectancy of the roof is proportional to the quality of materials it is built with. A cool roof takes that concept to the next level.
Cool Roof Installation
Harlan Roofing provides Cool Roofing services and Energy Star rated cool roof products eligible for federal tax credits. Call us today to learn more!